In the days and weeks leading up to San Diego Comic-Con, we the press get bombarded with emails with press releases about events, panels, and other happenings in and around the convention. We’ve rounded up some of the more interesting ones twice before (here and here), and we are going to do it one more time.
“Iron Man 3” Kids’ Costume Event
Marvel Studios announced today that they will be hosting an “Iron Man 3” Kids’ Costume Event on Saturday, July 14, at 12:30 p.m. at the Marvel booth (#2329), at Comic-Con International in San Diego. The event is open to all children ages 2-14 who come dressed as Iron Man—Marvel’s iconic Super Hero featured in the upcoming “Iron Man 3.” Anyone looking to participate in the costume event should arrive at the Marvel booth by 12:10 to prepare for the event.
Experience A&E’s “Coma”
This year at Comic-Con, fans can partake in an immersive experience into A&E’s “Coma,” a modern day retelling of the Robin Cook novel and iconic film by Michael Crichton. Produced by Ridley & Tony Scott, the two-night event premieres this Labor Day on A&E. Fans walking the grounds outside of Comic-Con can come and join the thriller experience of “Coma” from Thursday, July 12 through Saturday, July 14 at 11am – 9pm on 1st Avenue and J Street right outside of the San Diego Convention Center. Doctors will be handing out patient bracelets for admittance to the 15,000 square foot “Jefferson Institute,” the ominous leading institute in coma patient care from the mini-series. The “Coma” Experience is free and will include:
Reception – Participants will be greeted by Jefferson Institute nurses who will admit them into The “Coma” Experience. The nurses will guide the visitors to the security monitors so they can get a glimpse of what they’re about to step into as well as see exclusive, first-look footage from the mini-series.
Surgery – Nurses will then take fans to the experiential surgery room where they’ll meet surgeons who will decide if they’re good candidates for the tour. If so, fans will have the option of getting a 3-D surgical scar tattoo.
Area 2 – As part of the experience, visitors will be allowed to access The Jefferson Institute’s highly secured Area 2, where they will get a glimpse of the doctors at work. In this room, Jefferson Institute human specimens will be on display designed with the chilling look and feel that’s authentic to the mini-series.
Area 8 Green Screen – Finally, visitors will be able to step into Area 8, which will be the end of The Jefferson Institute tour. Area 8 will offer visitors the opportunity to get an up close and personal view of an actual “Coma Pod” that was used in the Ridley & Tony Scott production. In addition, visitors may participate in a green screen photo opportunity that places them into the iconic Coma Pod as if they themselves are the victims of the Jefferson Institute.
For a fully immersive experience that extends beyond Comic-Con, fans can go to www.comaconspiracy.com where they can activate a thrilling digital experience. The hacker activists that are trying to take down the Jefferson Institute in the mini-series will invite visitors to join their cause, and opting-in will launch a highly-targeted digital cat-and-mouse game that pulls fans into the heart of the Coma Conspiracy. Here, participants will feel first hand what it’s like to go up against the all-knowing, all-powerful and heavily financed Jefferson Institute.
“Coma” is a two-night special event starring James Woods, Geena Davis, Richard Dreyfuss, Ellen Burstyn, Lauren Ambrose (“Six Feet Under”) and Stephen Pasquale (“Rescue Me”) premiering on A&E, Monday, September 3 and concluding on Tuesday, September 4 at 9PM ET/PT each night. In “Coma,” a young doctor (Lauren Ambrose) discovers that something sinister is going on in her hospital after routine procedures send more than a few seemingly healthy patients into comas on the operating table.
Doctor Who Cosplay Contest
Fans that want to show off their best Doctor Who costumes are encouraged to enter BBCAmerica.com’s Eleventh Doctor and His Companions Cosplay Contest. Entries can be submitted online through Wednesday, July 25. Official rules and details can be found at bbcamerica.com/cosplay.
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has something for everyone at San Diego Comic-Con 2012. Along with previously announced signings and panels with numerous fan favorites, Fox will bring additional fun to the downtown area including:
● Larry, Curly and Moe hit the streets of San Diego with a couple of sexy nuns in tow as they celebrate the upcoming Blu-ray and DVD release of THE THREE STOOGES on July 17. Fans can take pictures with the hilarious look-alikes and hopefully avoid getting wet during one of their “wee-wee waterfights” featuring tinkling baby dolls.
● Mel Gibson’s GET THE GRINGO arrives on Blu-ray and DVD July 17. Stop by the Fox booth for the exclusive “Find the Gringo” poster and track down the Lucha Libre wrestlers downtown for a picture with the masked men and a special offer for convention goers.
● Fans of the slasher film franchise are invited to like the WRONG TURN 5 Facebook page and visit the Fox booth to receive their limited edition “bloody thumb drive” loaded with exclusive footage. The latest terrifying chapter will be released on Blu-ray and DVD later this year.
● Fans can also pre-order some of the most anticipated Fox and FX television shows on Blu-ray and DVD including, “AMERICAN HORROR STORY” SEASON ONE, “HOMELAND” SEASON ONE, “GLEE” SEASON THREE and “SONS OF ANARCHY” SEASON FOUR, among others.
● Panels and signings at the Fox booth [#4313] will also take place for top rated shows including FX hits “WILFRED”, “ARCHER”, and “SONS OF ANARCHY”, animated favorites “THE SIMPSONS”, “FUTURAMA”, “FAMILY GUY”, “AMERICAN DAD”, “THE CLEVELAND SHOW” ,and “BOB’S BURGERS”, the compelling drama “BONES” and the upcoming Comedy Central series from Daniel Tosh, “BRICKLEBERRY.”
Star Trek Posters
The CBS booth [#4129] will once again be busy this year, with tons of great exclusive products and giveaways. First, to commemorate the Starship Enterprise XX and to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation, StarTrek.com will be giving away 1,701 copies of a limited edition The Next Generation poster. Throughout the event, StarTrek.com will have a number of special Star Trek giveaways include beach towels, watches, cycling jerseys, flasks, and more.
Doctor Who AND Star Trek
Cosplay fans of Star Trek and Doctor Who can visit the IDW Booth participate in a once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity where the crossover comic and reality collide! Participants will meet at the IDW booth (#2643), schmooze with fellow fans and have their picture taken. The event will culminate with a group shot that will make its way to immortality on StarTrek.com, the official Star Trek site. Additionally, Her Universe will provide t-shirts from its Star Trek and Doctor Who lines for giveaway. Fans can share their experience with their fellow Star Trek and Doctor Who cosplayers in real time on the big day with the Twitter hashtag #DrTrekmeetup.
Saturday, June 14th 2 – 3 pm PST
We’ll be providing on-location live coverage of the convention from July 11th (Preview Night) until July 15th. Be sure to check out our Comic-Con Preview tomorrow morning.