After 3 long years, the release of director Joe Lynch’s ode to Medieval Live Action Role Playing Knights of Badassdom is nigh. While it has been a very difficult journey for the film which stars Peter Dinklage, Steve Zahn and Summer Glau, that doesn’t mean the final days leading up to its release has to be. In preparation for the upcoming festivities, the fine folks responsible for taming the forces who have kept the film at bay for so long have tasked you with a quest to complete that acts as a prequel to the events of the actual film. Announced on Facebook, the people were excited to announce a new text-based game. Details on your quest to badassdom after the break.
While I could regale you with all the ins and outs of the quest you will be taking, it is better if you read the full description, along with rules and regulations, from the merry men themselves who have given you this mighty honor. The quest itself, which is a traditional text-based adventure, begins this coming Monday and concludes when the film is released, so read the following if thy believes themselves to be worthy of carrying out such a perilous journey.
Hail and well met, adventurers!
We know how much role-playing means to you; time spent off the battlefield is
not time well spent. That’s why we’ve decided to do something special for the
thousands of role-players in our community.
We are thrilled to bring you an interactive text-based adventure prequel to
Knights of Badassdom!
Beginning Monday, January 6th, you are invited to participate in an all-new,
original story that will prepare you for the badassness of Knights of Badassdom.
1. How It Works: Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday until the release of the
film, we’ll be telling a new part of the story. At 2:30pm ET, a post will go live on
our Facebook Page introducing the day’s chapter; a catalyst for action if you will.
Once the catalyst is posted, it will be up to you and your brethren to drive the
story forward by interacting with NPCs, investigating locations, discovering clues
and solving puzzles. We will then solicit responses from you, the community, to
determine the next move.
The responses will be chosen based on a number of criteria, including story fit,
character personality fit, and support from the community, which will be
measured by the number of LIKES each response receives. Once the community responds, the GM (that’s us) will choose the winning submission by LIKING the post.
We will then incorporate it into the story and continue with the next bit of story,
whether it’s a line of dialogue, a description, a brütal smackdown, etc. and so on
and so forth until the day’s chapter has come to an end.
On occasion, the community will be asked to unlock content by reaching a set
number of LIKES on a response from the GM. Once that number is reached, the
next response will be unlocked and posted to the page.
For an optimal story experience, we recommend that you set the comment sort
for each post to RECENT ACTIVITY, which will allow you to see new responses
come in in chronological order, from newest to oldest.
2. Loot: Like any good quest, throughout the story you’ll be able to earn loot that
can assist in your journey. Loot will be awarded at the GM’s discretion and is
awarded at the end of each day. Loot is ‘randomly generated’ and does not tie
directly into specific aspects of the story. In order to qualify for a loot drop, you
must have participated in that day’s quest by submitting at least one response.
If you have earned loot, you will receive a REPLY from us in which you will need to send a message to us to collect your reward.
Loot can be used to assist you in your journey and will consist of a variety of
different items, from weapons, to equipment to magic. Recipients will be able to
use their loot in one of their future responses to impact the outcome.
Loot can only be used once. When a Loot item is used in a response that is
selected by the GM for inclusion in the story, any future responses that include
that item will be disregarded. If you include your Loot in a response, and that
response is not selected, you can still use it in a future response.
Additionally, each Loot item is unique to the player who claims it. Any attempt by
other players to utilize loot not belonging to them will be considered cheating and
will result in a strike against that player. Two strikes, and it’s the Ban-hammer of
Moradin for you!
3. Player Behavior
With this quest, we aim to create a brilliant interactive experience for the Knights
of Badassdom community and that requires everyone playing by the rules, or risk
being banned from participating:
- No profanity – we have turned on Facebook’s profanity filters, so if you want your responses to get through to us, do not swear. Sixteenth century euphemisms are ok.
- No whining – we want this to be a fun experience for everyone. We will do our best to be a fair and benevolent GM, but it’s not possible for everyone to get their way all the time. Comments complaining about the quest will be removed from the page. If you have an issue you’d like to bring to our attention, please do so by messaging us directly
- No nitpicking – anachronisms happen. Deal with it.
- No trolling – save the smack-talk for CoD. Anyone caught intimidating, insulting or undermining other players will be banned from participating.
- No cheating – it’s going to be difficult to cheat, but where there’s a will there’s a way. Anyone caught cheating will be dealt with accordingly. We are using a two-strike system because three-strikes is too generous. There is no accidental way to cheat in this quest, and we have no tolerance for bullies. A second offense of any kind will get you ban-hammered.
We are immensely excited to go on this adventure with you!
See you on the battlefield.
You can get further details on the quest and other information about the film by clicking the following link and visiting the Knights of Badassdom official Facebook page.