THINGS WE LEARNED FROM THE INDEPENDENCE DAY 2 LAUNCH EVENT
In case you hadn’t noticed, there is an Independence Day sequel on the way. It’s been a while coming: twenty years, in fact. And yet, that can be justified both in story terms and production.
Relativity theory allows for a human twenty years to register as a possible five minute equivalent to the alien menaces that will once again attempt an invasion / obliteration of earth. There was also the small matter of story and script. It’s difficult to match a movie that on one hand screams ‘sequel!’ yet was somewhat self-contained in pitch. Where to go from there?
It looks as though the focus will be very much on the defence of Earth and the ramifications of that endeavour. We’ll just have to wait and see. Meantime: here are a few things we DID learn from the very friendly and encouraging press launch.
- Title: INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE
- The original cast is back. Except Will Smith. Which is a shame.
- Smith’s absence = unexplained as yet but his character will have a son, Dylan (Jessie Usher). Dylan’s Mom is also back: welcome, Vivica A Fox!
- No ‘President Will Smith’ (surely the obvious sequel pitch?) but we do get a woman President this time: Sela Ward.
- Director Roland Emmerich is getting old. He therefore has very bad knees.
- Jeff Goldblum is also getting old but is in great shape and still talking a lot.
- Film features alien technology adapted by humans: cue cool vehicles.
- Brent Spiner’s character will still have big hair; Bill Pullman now has a big beard.
- Thor is in it. Oh wait. Not Thor. His brother! No not Loki. Liam Hemsworth = probably the hero of the film.
This was a pleasant and charming launch event with a great sense of family about it that felt very natural. But the team carefully avoided giving away too many details. We have enough to get a rough sense of where the film will go / tone etc. Released next summer, expect big things from INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE.
Meantime: here’s that lovely press conference. Enjoy!