FILM CHOICES AND OTHER CONVERSATION POINTS
WITH SUZI RUFFELL
MovieViral continues its quest to identify tomorrow’s stars and get some film recommendations en route.
This week: Suzi Ruffell is the name to watch.
Picture Britain’s answer to Kristen Wiig /Amy Schumer/Tina Fey, mixed with a dash of Sally Phillips but still original and refreshing: a charming and witty commentator on all manner of subjects.
Her stand up routine is a stand-out and has been praised by the Press. I first saw Suzi on a nostalgia show about trends that were acceptable in past decades but are now laughably outdated.
Suzi’s observations of the changes in how culture is treated on television were both poignant and funny. I’m sure her comments have ‘ruffled’ a few feathers. See what I did there? No? OK..I will leave the comedy to Suzi. And I will also pick her brains on life, the universe and most importantly of all – her personal film choices – ideal as we face the weekend!
Here we go…
- ET: I love it. As a child I was so jealous of Elliot, I would spend hours throwing a tennis ball into darkness hoping ET would throw it back. I also think the scene where he dressed as a woman is completely hilarious.
- Pretty Woman: Julia Roberts is one of my favourite actresses.
- Muppet Christmas Carol: I become completely childlike at Christmas, from the 1st December the decorations are up and Santa jumpers are on. My girlfriend took me to see this a couple of years ago as I had not seen it before. I cannot believe I missed it during my childhood, I just loved it. I felt about 10. So, so good.
- TITANIC: I always enjoy it. I know its a bit naff but I love it. It’s sort of a feminist film too. Jack encourages Rose to live the life she wants to live and not what society tells her to do.
- GOODFELLAS: What a film! It’s shot so brilliantly. That scene when Henry takes Karen out for the first time. That shot is so cleverly choreographed. If you haven’t seen Goodfellas: stop whatever you are doing and watch it now! To be honest this list changes constantly. ET and Goodfellas are always in there though.
THANK YOU, SUZI!
‘Stand up gem’