It’s Here! PolitFlix. Episode 2.
-Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan series: a Retrospective, via Film News and Comment –
Your Hosts: James Murphy and Dave Bond
WELCOME! Join us as we take you through the Tom Clancy /Jack Ryan series, via movie news and discussion, varying from Nolan’s Dunkirk and Dark Knight to James Bond and Indiana Jones..
Sit Back. Relax. And pour yourself a glass of liquid movie chat..Click on the link below and press PLAY..
‘WE SAIL INTO HISTORY’…
- James Murphy is Editor in Chief at Movie Viral.
- Dave Bond is a Host at Do You Expect us To Talk
The show was recorded JUST before Tom Cruise had his accident while filming Mission:Impossible-6 (get well soon, Tom!). And just after editing the cast, we learned the GREAT news, c/o Stephen Colbert, that Daniel Craig will return as JAMES BOND in the 25th 007 adventure (due November 2019).
- Christopher Nolan’s DUNKIRK (still on general release: check it out!).
- ‘DCEU’ developments / Ben Affleck’s future as Batman (it looked ambiguous, before Ben cleared the air at Comic-Con; but there are still reboot options should he move on).
- The appeal of Indiana Jones and James Bond: can those characters be played as ‘older’? A fifth Indiana Jones film is due in 2020.
Main focus: Tom Clancy’s JACK RYAN series. Paramount Pictures. Various Stars/Directors. 1990-2014.
Geopolitical thrillers, the Ryan series could not be more pertinent in these uncertain times for foreign and domestic politics in our western democracies.
- Hunt for Red October (1990) stars Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin. Submarine based Cold War thriller, directed by John McTiernan.
- We then get Patriot Games (1992) and Clear and Present Danger (1994), starring Harrison Ford and directed by Phillip Noyce.
- 2002 saw Ben Affleck face The Sum of All Fears, for director Phil Alden Robinson, before a further ‘reboot’ attempt with Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2014) c/o Chris Pine and Ken Branagh.
- A new television series is in the works from Amazon, with John Krasinski as Jack Ryan.
Thank you for Listening!