At Last! In a week where everyone thought Netflix against the ropes..they pull an Ace from the Hole!
DE NIRO! PACINO! PESCI! SCORSESE! THE MOB! IRELAND! TEAMSTER POLITICS! CGI DE-AGEING!
Ok so it’s just a trailer. But a long awaited, much anticipated one: THE IRISHMAN!
I will let the trailer speak for itself but what I can say, definitively and objectively is..
- This LOOKS great!
- The subject matter is fascinating: think the white collar ambition of a Godfather meets the blue collar grit of GoodFellas.
- Scorsese is having fun here with varied visual stylings: hints of his Mean Streets /Taxi Driver origins, fused to the grander scale of CASINO, The Aviator and the like.
- Spoiler: we know Hoffa meets a bad end and nobody knows where they buried him. And yet: this feels like a thriller, somehow.
- The novelty of Pacino v DeNiro has been restored; not since HEAT has this meet up felt so ‘right’ (forget Righteous Kill: it never happened!).
- People look their age and yet also manage to look younger where needed; it is subtle yet significant and perfectly done at first glance.
- Joe Pesci back to his menacing best!