We know Imelda Staunton is playing the next Queen. But who else might join the crew? By Royal Command, I hereby speculate..
- Prince Charles: Dominic West is rumoured. How dull. So safe. I suggest Steve Coogan, instead. Can do the voice. About the right age. Alan Partridge is basically Charles with laughs. He’s a damn fine actooor, too. And it will appeal to his ego /bank balance without allowing him the delusion of playing action heroes as he seems to nurture that dream, still? Go on.
- John Major /Ken Clarke: Gotta be Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, respectively. Inverted neo 90s nostalgia, some comedy and pathos, in jokes, added star power and a great double act reunited. Laurie is ideal to capture Major’s everyman underdog spirit alongside his more ambitious, even darker sides. Fry would ‘get’ the Clarke wit. No Brainer.
1990 is peak era comedy for this duo as they rise to prominence. Also the year Major becomes PM. It’s in the stars! Seriously, I predicted this casting when I was 11, having seen Hugh play in Gasping on stage. I even did my impression of him to his face and his delight / surprise. ‘Do the boys in the dorm KNOW it’s me when you do my voice?’. Course they did, Hugh!
- Camilla: She’s GOT to be warm, sympathetic. Seriously. Now, I would say Rupert Everett, not as insult to Camilla more as a tribute to Rupert (see St Trinians). Class, fun, allure. This is the girl to somehow be more appealing than Diana yet never upstaging said adorable Princess as a star performer in the story. Tough call. WHY did Charles KEEP going back to this girl? With that in mind? Make Camilla SEXY; THE antidote to a more beautiful yet still distant Diana? Seriously. Maybe Serena Scott Thomas (who once played Diana!)? Just a thought. Clare Holman could be good too.
- John Smith: Gotta be Alex Norton?
- Tony Blair: Far too tempting to go the Michael Sheen route. He’s unbeatable. Rupert Penry-Jones, maybe? Hugh Dancy? Jonathan Rhys Myers? Maybe throw in Zooey Deschanel as Cherie? Dougray Scott / Daniel Portman as Gordon Brown?
enjoy one’s weekend!