Isn’t it obvious? No? Ok I will elaborate:
- They tend to launch on Sunday nights.
- They favour cop show format. Our hero/heroine is a bit of a maverick. Muddled love life. Loner. Hated by yet also essential to some medical /police establishment. Or both!
- Still trapped in the 1990s, even if it’s not a period piece, its main ambition is to be ‘the new Inspector Morse‘.
- There is a factory floor list of recurring personnel: Suranne Jones, Jodie Comer, David Tennant, Jenna Coleman, Rebecca Front, Katherine Kelly, etc.
- Regional placement is key, preferably a University town. Oxford, Cambridge, Hull..
- The leading man will be given some sort of ‘issue’: OCD, autism, cancer?
- Case in point, today? Ben Miller in Professor T. Most of the boxes above are ticked. I tuned out very quickly. Besides, I always confuse Miller with Rob Brydon (which to be fair, would be more imaginative casting?).