AVENGERS:ENDGAME is upon us..as April approaches. This might be THE biggest film of ALL TIME. If the trailer is anything to go by, that is!
The trailer kinda speaks for itself? That said, always one to comment / add fuel to speculation..I do have some things to say:
- The Tony Stark monologue at the start is moving. I well up everytime he talks to Pepper. Is it ominous? Maybe. Maybe not. We shall see. But Robert Downey Junior built this Marvel brand and his relationship with Gwyneth ‘Gwynnnnieee’ Paltrow’s Pepper Potts is among the most endearing, sexy, charming and memorable pairings in the history of Cinema. So, whatever their fates in this possibly last hurrah? I cannot wait to see them on-screen again, together!
- There is a marvellous (geddit?) summary of the heroes’ paths to this story. Everything has been building to a final bow of sorts? So this feels like the end of an era, but also a new beginning.
- Certainly, a ‘dark’ and broody tone pervades the start of the trailer. But it’s interesting that they end on a rather rousing and upbeat note. That bodes well for a fun, escapist and happy time at the movies. Coz my main criticism of INFINITY WAR was its uber dark downer ending. Looks like it was worth that sacrifice for a truly rewarding sequel?
- CAPTAIN MARVEL (Brie Larson: divine!) is on board and revealed here. Looks as though the Mighty THOR (Chris Hemsworth) is as impressed by the lady as are we all. That either signals a comedic romance or awkward social politics..possibly, a mix of both? An empowered woman, afterall, is still allowed to fancy an ultimate man-God, provided that he listens to their wishes and respects boundaries. Could be interesting. Just imagine the baby that couple would make!
- We don’t really see Thanos here. So one need not conclude that he is the big bad here. Heck, maybe he turns good and they ALL join up against some new antagonists born from his mistaken inter-galactic genocide? Now that the Fox/Disney deal has gone through, one cannot rule out at least some hint of a Doctor Doom /Galactus/ A N Other baddie and /or some cameo from the cak catalogue of existing Marvel Cinematic Universe antagonists (take a bow, Red Skull?!).
- LOVE those new SUITS. As does Captain Kirk, himself, Bill Shatner, as he has remarked on Twitter, citing the similarity to Star Trek uniforms.
In short: I cannot wait to see this movie! And I will, of course, keep up to date with the ongoing hype and then review the final product, once it is released. AVENGERS, ASSEMBLE!