They are both gaining praise among the critics, albeit with occasional dissenting voices.
Each is headed for respectable though not necessarily biggest blockbuster of all time numbers.
DUNE and ETERNALS. A match made in movie heaven?
Consider the following similarities:
- The two films set up an epic mythology. And yet sequels are not QUITE guaranteed here. Spin-offs, maybe.
- Budgets are big. Stakes are high. Anticipation is of course ‘there’ yet neither is yet its own ‘brand’?
- Auteur visions from the directors. Bringing sci-fi visuals to life on an unprecedented scale.
- Ensemble casts in both cases. Neither dependent upon nor shunning star power.
- Potential polarity: hardcore fans vs casual viewers.
- The elements! Sand, water, fire, ice and the like all get a heavy motif presence in the movies.
- Political? ETERNALS tackles identity tribes. DUNE = colonial war over precious resources.
- Big profile releases and yet tough sells, too?
- Released at a time when cinema is on trial for its existence vs streaming, Covid, franchise fatigue and so much more.
In short? The PERFECT double bill, right?